Wednesday 29 August 2012

Jour1111 Lecture 4

Im not a radio person, probably never will be. ABC radio host Richard Fiedler describes the job of the radio presenter as a facilitator, an engager, someone who can really get into an on-air guest's mind and helps bring a story to life. His approach to journalism is one that allows guests to construct their own story from his questioning, he stresses the importance of asking questions that are open ended and can be answered in a way that give a story depth and meaning.

Personally I have never listened to Fiedlers show, radio simply doesn't sit well with me, though his method is one that appeals to me, it is simply a medium with which I cannot engage. I find myself put off by the loud jocks that push their stations sponsors, dont engage guests or discuss things that have no relevence. Disproportionate advertisement time also turns me off radio completely, a few times I have tried scanning for stations in my car, most stations are mid advertisement so i simply give up and switch to a CD.

Podcasts, this is a form of radio I can engagewith. Often unsponsored, plenty of topics are being covered constantly, no need to listen to the music that a station might push or the loud annoying jocks.
 
There isnt much else I can say, I listened to these interviews with a detached bemusement, perhaps picked up a few interviewing techniques but no passion for radio was ignited, nor any difference of opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment